Monday, January 16, 2012

Is it Too Late to Talk About New Years Resolutions?

Well, It's the middle of January and already I'm wondering if my resolutions will hold up for 2012. Those items include:

1. Eat mostly plant-based meals. Save meat for 3-5x/mo, but do not center entire meals around it. Ian's all for this as he thinks meat is too expensive. All in the name of saving a dollar or so.
2. Eat a 75% grain-free/gluten free diet.  This has not been easy but I'm reading up on a lot of alternatives that I will explore using mostly almond and coconut flour. Save bread and grains for special occasions.
3. Cut out 75% beans. I think beans does the exact opposite in me vs. other people so it hasn't faired so well. It's too bad, too, because I love lentil soup, hummus, and chili, and Vietnamese sweet been desserts.
4. Cut down on refined sugars and explore alternatives to sugar other than agave nectar.
5. Make and drink fresh juice more often and use it to replace meals in times crazy busy schedules at work.
6.Make a note to exercise at least 20-30 min 5-6 days a week switching from interval training, strength, and leisurely cardio, or outdoor activities.
7. Learn how to do basic irish dance steps. I have my dvd dance video to help me and maybe I will graduate to a more advanced dance video in the future. I've been considering purchasing dancing clogs, but I don't have a floor to tap on so not really an option right now.
8. Beer-free January. Quite hard do as Kaylan and I have a beer blog with nothing on it for 2012 yet.
9. Get of out my shell and attempt to make more friends in Portland and network in my respective career fields.
10. Save more money. Already doing a bad job on this, so I need to work on this.
11/ Do at least 2 outdoor activities in the area a month. We already did a snowshoe trip. Maybe a hike through Forest Park might be nice to end January.
12. Plan trip to Europe and decide where to go, what to do. It's kind of hard because we're both so busy with what's happening right now that thinking about a big vacation doesn't exactly feel right at this time.
13. Never forget the bigger picture in every aspect in life.
14. Get back into making and writing music. This will be hard. I miss this but hardly have any time.

They say that writing down your resolutions will help you visualize your goals better. It's kind of weird writing it in a blog for everyone to read but, hey, it's a way to keep me accountable. I can definitely say I've not followed through as well as I would like to. As a middle of Jan QA check I need to step up my game.

Resolutions in general are kind of cliche for New Years, in my opinion, so I'm not even sure why I have a list of 14 items I want to work on. Why wait until every new year? Why not just wake up tomorrow and be a better person then?  There's always something each person can improve on.

"Each day is a new day. Fresh with no mistakes in it." Ms. Barry -Anne of Green Gables.

No comments:

Post a Comment