Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Mind Does Control Your Body



 I had a crazy epiphany last week. It's kind of dumb to admit this as it's something that we've been told so many times in our lives: Our minds and thoughts control our bodies. 

Well, duh, right? This old news. What really got me was the overwhelming power the mind has over one's body. 

Although I cannot go into full detail, last week I did some things that was not good. In fact, it was downright stupid and I will never ever do it  again. The amount of anxiety and stress it caused me made it really hard to concentrate. My heart was elevated, my sleep patterns were way off, and I couldn't sit still. My mind did not want to rest. My dreams consisted of my consequences, and I completely lost my appetite for nearly a full day. Please do not get concerned. Everything ended up working out in the end and I am filled with a sense of relief.

It was during that time of anxiety that I finally accepted the fact that my mind really does do a number on the body. And it got me thinking, "What are the other things in my mind that are wrecking havoc on my body?"

The body is really sensitive to your thoughts. I can see why people claim you can make yourself physically healthier by getting your mind strong and healthy first. Yoga, an exercise practice of a mind/body connection, allows avid practitioners to be in tune with their bodies at all times. Though I don't practice yoga, I am seriously considering adding something like it into my exercise regimen. 

I started thinking about some of my friends and family as well. Are there certain fears or thoughts that are preventing them from becoming fully healthy? Can they prevent themselves from getting sick by having healthy thoughts? Although I do not want wish to pass judgement, I can't help but wonder. Have you ever had a moment in your life that was so dramatic you did not want to eat or sleep? Or it was the opposite where all you wanted to do is sleep and eat a lot? I remember when I was  younger I went through a terrible break up and lost about 13 pounds in 20 days. Thinking back, I should have had the mind/body epiphany long ago. 

Yeah this sounds really crazy, hippy, new-age-ish whatever, but in a way, this moment has really changed my life. My hope is that by understanding this connection more I can make myself a better person inside and out. When was your moment you realized this and what have you been doing to improve your mind and body?

1 comment:

  1. Marketers are masters of the mind/body connection. They give our minds suggestions that make our bodies go out and buy stuff.

    They are the Magicians of the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete